Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Date with Mr. Sherwood


Two in fact. Last weekend I went with Jason’s dad, Bill Sherwood, to Old Carbon. The town was founded in 1868 and continued until 1902/3 when the mines that supported it closed. Along with their personal possessions, most residents left for the nearby town of Hanna so they could continue working in the mines. Now, by personal possessions I mean clothes, kitchen utensils, and homes! Yep, the story goes residents “rolled” homes and businesses to Hanna with the use of round polls and teams. Today, all that is left is a few stone structures and an amazingly well preserved cemetery.

Sunday, “Date Night” Jason picked me up after work for a surprise trip to the mountains. We went “predator” fishing in a stream. I was amazed to watch Jason sneak along the “trails” and down to the water to catch the fish unaware. He is really resourceful. Kinda like an outdoor MacGyver! We caught 3 brook trout and had them for super the next night. My shoes came home really muddy but I was proud that I didn’t get the line tangled up (to bad).


Our friends Erin and Alex fishing in California:
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?p=183186&sid=50db5613b211c7edab3cf5b0dbcfee19

This weekend I’m reviewing a proof of my thesis for publication in the Oral History Review, painting, unpacking (still), and hopefully doing something fun to tell you about next week!

Thanks for checking in,
Trey of the “Treysons”

2 comments:

Kelly and Steve said...

You ate the brook trout...how sad...
The fishing really looks like fun, and the old town is really neat.
-Kelly and Steve

Anonymous said...

Old Carbon is the place near Medicine Bow I was talking about. I think it is a neato place. Marlise