Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Busy Bee

Just a quick note to say that I grant I was working on all last year got funded by IMLS! Here is the press release:

Wyoming
Buffalo Bill Memorial Association - Cody, WY Award Amount: $39,943
Contact: Ms. Beverly Perkins Conservator(307)578-4029; beverlyp@bbhc.org
Project Title: "Connecting to Collections Statewide Planning Grant"The Buffalo Bill Historical Center and five partners will identify and address the most pressing preservation needs for Wyoming's cultural institutions. This process will include identifying the state's collecting institutions and assessing their stewardship concerns; holding regional conferences for networking, collections care training, and disaster response; developing and maintaining a statewide database of all collecting institutions; and organizing workshops that address Heritage Health Index concerns. The partners are Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums, Wyoming State Library, Sheridan County Historical Society Museum, Western Wyoming Community College, and Nicolaysen Art Museum.

I'm the workshop chair for Colorado Wyoming Association of Museums so that is how I got involved.

In other news, Leadership Wyoming is going well! I'll have pictures to post soon of our last session in Cheyenne. I got to ride on a black hawk helicopter, tour the National Guard, train like a solider, have lunch with a Federal Judge, meet with the director of Wyoming's Dept. of Corrections, and through silence and solitude, listen to my voice within.

This weekend I'm taking a class on preserving 2D artwork. I'm going to take a painting from the prison's collection and see if I can't make it look and feel a little better!

Next week our new kitchen cabinets arrive and we'll start demo. sometime after March 8th. I'm trying to figure out what I can make in bulk and freeze for easy access while the kitchen is torn apart.

I'll do my best to take before, after and during photos and post them here so check back soon for pictures! - Trey

3 comments:

The Kane said...

CONGRATS! That is so exciting.
Wow, the kitchen is happening. That is really exciting too! Craziness. Well good luck with the art, take a before and after.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on receiving the grant. I wrote about it, and the innovative way in which you coordinated the effort within your state, here:

http://www.readwritehistory.com/2009/03/09/wyoming-institutions-collaborate-online-for-successful-imls-grant/

Are you available by phone or e-mail to explore what motivated folks there to use this approach and the key factors to making it work?

Please let me know. Links to an e-mail address are on the About page.

And again, congratulations to you and your colleagues.

Anonymous said...

Grmpa Rich's cousin and his wife, from California, stopped to visit the prison and were really impressed at the displays. They especially enjoyed the broom making building and history. They didn't get to meet you, though, and were disappointed when we told them about all your hard work, Trey. We are so proud of you!!
G&G H