Friday, December 15, 2006

'Twas the Night Before Christmas....


....darn near it, anyway. Well, we finally got enough of the hunting seasons quieted down so we could get down to gettin' ready for the holidays. Last weekend, we trekked to Elk Mountain in search of the first-ever "Treyson" Family Christmas Tree. Actually, turned out to not be much of a trek, as Al Gore's "Global Warming" has left the forest lacking the snow depth necessary for an authentic snowshoe hunt for a Christmas Tree.

Anyway, we met with my parents and drove the pickup all the way to the ceremonial Christmas Tree Hunting Grounds. After watching Tillie race around in the snow and enjoying the quiet serenity for awhile (interrupted only slightly by the shrieking sounds of Trey getting some snow in her boots), we got down to the business of finding a good tree.

Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that simple. . . As Trey had never harvested a live Christmas Tree before, she had to be "schooled" on the proper tree-selection techniques. There was also some time spent watching Dad as he tried to use his GPS unit to figure out where we were (luckily, we weren't far from the road and the instrument was able to confirm our location only a short time after we returned to the pickup).







Then, in the midst of all of this entertainment, Trey and I found THE tree. NO, we did not misjudge our ceiling height--my folks needed some boughs to finish their decorations, so we were looking for a tree with a few extra limbs. Despite Dad's efforts to make "chainsaw sounds" the hand saw was a bit tiring. Luckily, Trey took her turn with the saw and we were able to get THE tree cut down. Funny, when we started carrying THE tree back to the pickup, Trey disappeared until we were nearly there. At least she got some good pictures. . .


So, we got THE tree cut down to size, installed in our family room, and it is now proudly wearing some of the thirty or so "S'More" ornaments that Trey has collected. Of course, the ornaments that we have picked up on our travels are finally on display as well. Several strings of lights adorn the garage and porch and we're both ready for ol' Saint Nick to show up.

Between hunting seasons and the decorating, gift wrapping, and trips to the Post Office, its starting to look like time to lay down for a long winters' nap. Well, as soon as I can shut down that clatter out on the lawn. . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh migosh Trey (and Jase) what a beautiful tree you have. I can remember way back when---when my Jack was still alive how we used to go up in the hills to get our tree. But those days are long gone and now I have a little fiber optic tree. Of course you must realize I have a little house so the little tree fits nicely in here. I do miss the mountains at times, but am happy out here in good ole Iowa. I truly wish you and Jase a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Know I have you in my thoughts and prayers every day and even Tillie and Rocky get in those thoughts too.! Take care , love always "Udder Mudder" or should I say "Udder Grandmudder"? Have a great day

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

Jason, thanks for posting some recent pictures. I was starting to get worried about my girl. I'm glad to know you're both alive and well and enjoying the holidays! We miss you! t

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

The "t" was a mistake. It was the first letter of the secret, squiggly word you have to enter to leave a comment. We really are Xander and Alana--no "t."

Anonymous said...

Loved the entertaining story of getting the Christmas tree. I am still laughing and remembering some of our treks to the hills hunting for the "perfect" tree and sometimes winding up with a good old Charley Brown tree. I cherish the memories but not sure these older bones would stand the snow and cold any more.
Thanks for the memories and pictures, too.
Love ya, G&G H

Anonymous said...

Hi Trey! I've met you a time or two - - I'm friends with Amanda and Jessica. Anyway, I thought I would give you something to laugh at. I saw the link to your blog on Jessica's page so I decided to check it out. I spent a couple minutes thinking to myself:

Oh My God! Trey married somebody whose last name is Treyson and so she's Trey Treyson.

I'm a retard sometimes. Wyoming looks wonderful! Love the pics.

Take Care,
Tara Lee