Monday, November 07, 2005

The Proposal: An Exhibit




Yep, that’s right; Jason put together an exhibit as part of his proposal! It was so thoughtful and very detailed. We arranged to have dinner and spend the night at the historic Occidental in Buffalo, Wyoming. http://www.occidentalwyoming.com/historic_occidental_hotel.htm

One of my favorite places in the world. It was complete sensory overload for me. We walked into the lobby and the overhead lights were out. The room was illuminated by a few antique table lamps and candles. (Dense me, I had no clue. I thought the owners decorated like that all the time!) We signed in at the front desk and got big hugs from the owner, Dawn. As we chatted, she offered some historic pieces to the Wyoming Territorial Prison and I was thrilled! An old iron bed, sinks, period furnishings, etc. (Yes, I get excited about weird things and no, I still didn’t have a clue that there was an even BIGGER surprise in store). Jason suggested we take some time to look around the lobby (which also serves as a museum). Instead I announced I had to go to the bathroom and headed upstairs. Very patiently, Jason waited for me and suggested again we spend some time in the lobby. After Oohing and Auhing at the antiques in our suite and throughout the hallway upstairs, Jason led me downstairs back to the lobby. Much to his disappointment, I overlooked his “surprise” yet a second time and got my nose stuck in a coffee table book of historic photographs. (My back was turned to Jason so I probably didn’t see his frustration!) After asking me repeatedly to “please come and look at this photograph” he finally had to tear me away from the coffee table book, leading me by my wrist to the fireplace. (Still didn’t hit me). It was only then that I noticed the photograph on the mantle was of me! I instantly thought, “That’s creepy! Why is my picture on the wall of the Occidental???” Just as I was turning to ask Jason, it started to dawn on me… then I saw him on one knee. I cried tears of joy so hard that all I heard was, “Will you?” After hugs, kisses, and the ring, I turned with Jason at my side to read through the exhibit mounted on the mantle. It included my photograph, a picture of us in period dress, and two text panels which read:

“The Occidental Proposal: A long history together was started on November 4, 2005, when Teresa “Trey” Beyer was asked by Jason Sherwood for her hand in marriage. The proposal took place in this location by the glow of fireplace and candlelight.

Throughout history, many young couples have passed through the Occidental; however, none of the young women were so perfect in every respect: as caring as an angel, as beautiful as the sunset over Cloud Peak, and as sharp as the tip of a Sioux arrow.”

And:

“The Ring: Crafted by master jeweler Jim Rasmussen of Alexander’s Fine Jewelry, this one-of-a-kind engagement ring was assembled specially to signify the endless love shared with Ms. Beyer. Between its distinctive appearance and the precious metal and gemstones that went into its construction, this ring is designed to maintain its significance forever.”

But my very favorite detail: a “Notice of Temporary Removal of Artifact from Exhibit” sign that Jason typed up and fashioned where the ring would have been on display. It read, “Accession No. 05-79-003, Date removed: 11/4/2005. Item description: Engagement ring; antiqued platinum band set with 14 small white diamonds and one round-cut, 1.07 ct, blue-treated diamond. Reason item removed from exhibit: At request of owner/to be presented to his one true love. Date to be returned: Not to be returned.”

Jason put a lot of work into this proposal and it means the world to me! I laugh that he knows me so well and all these details relate to some story or conversation we shared about museums.

(And, I have to say, the ring just blew me away!!!)

Thanks to everyone for all the love and support we’ve received since the proposal. I hope you will pray for the success/joy of our marriage and share in my desire that God will always be our foundation.

For those of you getting this news first time via the blog, I apologize. It has been so hectic since Jason proposed! Our phone bill will be sky high this month for sure! But that is OK. If you haven’t heard from us yet, don’t be shy about giving a call. We’d love to hear from you.



The newly engaged Treysons

14 comments:

Jen Dome said...

Trey!!!!! Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you and I hope we get to talk soon so I can hear the happiness in your voice!! It seems like you've found a good man ... and I'm sure he is since an amazing girl like you would accept no less!! Take care -- love you!!
Jennifer

Kelly and Steve said...

I am so happy for you. Although I have not met Jason, I know that you must be a wonderful guy for Trey to be so happy. Also what a sweet story. I thought Steve had a wonderful proposal story, but wow he has competition.
Jason you did a great job on the ring. It is just as unique as Trey.
I wish you love and fortune the world has to offer.
Love,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Trey we are so happy for you. Jason seemed like the perfect match for you when we met him. He did it right and I am so happy for you. You can hear the happiness in your voice. Congratulations!!! We love you and will talk to you soon.

Leslie & Q

Anonymous said...

Trey... Congrats hon.. we wish you all the best and hope that marriage treats you as well as it treats us.
lots of love
The Burrows'

Anonymous said...

Jason, We have always been proud of you but shi is the ultimate. Your choice of the ring was excellence, but your choice of a bride is the best WOW!! With God as your foundation and Christ as the head of your house, how can you fail?
We are happy to share in your happiness.
Grandpa & Grandma Hoffman

Anonymous said...

I can't belive it, you beat me to it! Or should I say Jason beat doug? I don't know, I am so ecstatic for you both!!! He is such a wonderful guy and I am just so glad that the two of you found each other! Congratulations! I'm going to end my short note before I start crying AGAIN! I'm telling you with all of these babies and now your engagment, I don't know what to expect next! I love you both!

Love always and best wishes,

Jessica (and Doug)

Anonymous said...

Wow Trey! Paul and I could not be more thrilled for you. We both said we thought Jason was the one for you after hearing so many great things about him when we saw you last month. We can't wait to meet him. Your ring is beautiful! We will talk to you soon
Paul & MJ

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Teresa and Jason on your engagement. All of us in Minnesota are very happy and excited for you, Baby Cakes, and we can't wait to meet Jason. The ring is beautiful, Jason has very good taste! Keep us posted on the upcoming plans.

Love,
Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Teresa!!! Wow! Congrats! I'm so happy for you. Let him know, though, that I will hunt him down if he ever hurts you. I love and miss you so much! I better be invited to the wedding, besides, we have so much catching up to do. My number is still the same, so please dont hesitate to give me a ring.

Anonymous said...

to Jason: Good on you, thank you for treating teresa so great, she is a great person and deserves the best. I hope to meet you some day you seem like a really great person. And the ring WOW! dont worry rugged manliness still in tact.
To Trey: I am so happy for you just thinking about it makes me all giddy. I love seeing the smile back on your face. I miss you and hope to see you soon.
God has blessed both of you with more than just love, he has given you friendship. Cherish it for ever. Love you guys and congrats to both of you !

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Congratulations...Ok...I had no idea what you were up to and got to this through Kelly White's blog. SO Congratulations....and let me know when you're in GA. I'm teaching in Dacula this year...we have got to catch up.

Your college buddy,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh Trey and Jase, what a lovely couple you guys make. You must keep me posted. I heard you were shopping for a wedding dress today...man oh man I cannot wait to see it. I sure wish I could travel and be there when you guys tie the knot. Just know I really do care about you both.

Love ya's
Mudder

Anonymous said...

Teresa! I am so full of joy (and yes, tears)for you. I feel like part of the family ... because your wonderful family always made me feel that way. I pray and trust God to bless your union with Jason and that both of you will remain strong in Him.

p.s. This site is phenomenal .... a wonderful testament of your love that your children can cherish, too. I love you - Laura

Anonymous said...

Trey, what a beaming bride-to-be! Congratulations to you both and all the happiness to you for years and years to come! You deserve the best!!
Gail (Erin's Mom)